- 3 pounds fresh strawberries hulled stems removed
- ¾ cup honey
- ¾ cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- Puree the washed and hulled strawberries in the bowl of a food processor until smooth.
- Combine the strawberry puree with the honey, sugar, lemon juice, and salt in a deep pot set over medium heat.
- Bring the mixture to a boil and stir frequently to prevent scorching. Lower the heat and simmer until the mixture is very thick, about 60-90 minutes (this took me closer to 90), stirring frequently. Any foam produced by the strawberries will disappear with the cooking process, it took almost to the end of cooking.
- The strawberry butter is finished cooking when it holds its shape on a spoon.
- Take off the heat and stir in the vanilla. Serve warm or let cool to room temperature and place in an airtight container stored in the fridge.
- Fresh lemon juice is best for this but you can use bottled in a pinch.
- This can be used on so many different things, see my tips above.
- This can be strained to remove the seeds, but not necessary.
- Double this batch to have more on hand.
- Frozen strawberries will work, see my tips above.
- Freeze in a freezer-safe container for up to 6 months. Thaw in the fridge overnight to use.
Calories: 907kcal | Carbohydrates: 233g | Protein: 5g | Fat: 2g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 1g | Monounsaturated Fat: 1g | Sodium: 304mg | Potassium: 1117mg | Fiber: 14g | Sugar: 213g | Vitamin A: 82IU | Vitamin C: 402mg | Calcium: 118mg | Iron: 3mg