Pie Filling Ingredients:
- 9 ” pie crust pre-baked
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- ¼ cup cornstarch
- 1 ½ cups cold water
- 4 egg yolks slightly beaten
- Zest of 1 lemon about 2 teaspoons
- ¼ cup lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon salted butter
- 6 egg whites at room temperature
- ⅔ cup granulated sugar
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- In a medium saucepan, whisk together 1 cup of sugar and the cornstarch. Continue whisking while adding 1½ cups of cold water to the pan, stirring until combined. (DO NOT TURN ON THE STOVE YET, THIS IS DONE WITH NO HEAT)
- Separate egg yolks from the whites (reserving the whites for the meringue). Gently whisk or use a fork to break up the yolks and beat them just slightly.
- Whisk the egg yolks into the saucepan.
- In a small bowl, measure the lemon zest and lemon juice so they are ready to add to the pie filling mixture when it comes off the stove.
- Begin preparing the meringue. Place the egg whites into a large bowl or the bowl of a standing mixer. Use a whisk attachment (regular beaters on a hand mixer work, too!) and beat the egg whites until they are foamy. Add ⅔ cup of sugar to the foamy egg whites and continue beating until the mixture forms stiff peaks.
- While the meringue is being prepared, turn the stovetop on to medium heat. Bring the filling mixture to a low boil, whisking constantly to prevent the mixture from sticking to the bottom of the pan and to control the heating of the egg yolks in the mixture. Boil gently for 1 minute while stirring.
- Remove filling from the heat and stir in lemon juice, lemon zest, and butter. Whisk until smooth. The filling should be thickened and hot.
- Spread pie filling into the prepared pre-baked pie crust. Immediately mound the meringue over the hot filling. Use a spatula or spoon to make dips in the meringue – giving it swirled peaks and valley appearance. BE SURE to press the meringue against the crust around the edges to seal it completely.
- Bake the pie for about 15 minutes. Keep a close eye on it and remove it once it is browned to your liking – you may wish to turn the pie halfway through baking to help with even browning.
- Allow the pie to cool completely before cutting and serving.
Calories: 1064kcalCarbohydrates: 139gProtein: 12gFat: 51gSaturated Fat: 17gPolyunsaturated Fat: 6gMonounsaturated Fat: 24gTrans Fat: 1gCholesterol: 4mgSodium: 797mgPotassium: 195mgFiber: 5gSugar: 42gVitamin A: 46IUVitamin C: 3mgCalcium: 39mgIron: 5mg