- 2 (12-ounce) jars lemon curd
- 8 ounces cream cheese softened
- 1 large egg room temperature
- ¼ cup granulated sugar
- 1 (15.25-ounce) box vanilla, lemon, yellow or white cake mix (we used white)
- ½ cup salted butter cold
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Spread the lemon curd into the bottom of a 9×13-inch baking dish.
- In a medium bowl, use a hand mixer to combine cream cheese, egg, and granulated sugar until smooth and combined.
- Drop spoonfuls of the cream cheese mixture over the lemon curd.
- Sprinkle the cake mix evenly over the first two layers.
- Slice very thin pats of butter and spread over the entire top of the dry cake mix. Cover as much of the cake mix as possible.
- Bake for 40 minutes or until the topping is browned and the lemon filling is bubbling around the edges.
- Allow dump cake to rest for 15 minutes before serving.
Store, covered, in the refrigerator for 5-7 days or freeze for up to 1 month. Thaw in the refrigerator or reheat to serve.
Allowing the dump cake to rest for a bit before serving it will give the lemon curd time to cool just a bit so that it is not super runny when you scoop into it.
The dump cake is delicious warm or cold.
You can also serve with fresh fruit over the top. Blueberries, strawberries, and raspberries all pair nicely with the lemon curd.
You may end up with some dry cake mix spots on the top of the dump cake. This is normal and is just where the butter did not saturate into the cake mix. If you prefer, you can additional pats of butter over the dry area – check the dump cake after about 30 minutes to determine if the melting pats of butter missed any areas. The dump cake is made correctly and tastes delicious even if there are some dry areas on the top. Do try to cover as much of the top as possible with butter. The pats of butter need to be VERY thin in order to cover the whole top of the cake.
Calories: 156kcal | Carbohydrates: 5g | Protein: 2g | Fat: 15g | Saturated Fat: 9g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 1g | Monounsaturated Fat: 4g | Trans Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 53mg | Sodium: 126mg | Potassium: 32mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 5g | Vitamin A: 510IU | Calcium: 23mg | Iron: 1mg