- 6 tbsp shortening
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- Grated lemon rind from one lemon
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 1/2 cup flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 3 tbsp sugar
- Juice of one lemon
- Preheat oven to 375F. Grease a loaf pan and set aside.
- In a large bowl, cream together shortening and sugar. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Stir in lemon rind.
- In another bowl, sift flour, baking powder and salt. Add flour mixture alternately with milk to the creamed butter mixture.
- Spread mixture evenly into loaf pan. Bake for 40 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center of the loaf comes out clean.
- Remove from oven. While still hot, sprinkle sugar over loaf. Then drizzle lemon juice over top. Let cool before slicing.