Homemade Spaghetti Sauce
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 1/2 lb lean ground beef
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 green pepper, chopped
- 1 cup mushrooms, sliced
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/4 tsp oregano
- 1 tsp Italian seasoning
- 1 tbsp tomato paste
- 1 (28oz) can crushed tomatoes
- 1 (12oz) can tomato sauce
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 1 tbsp fresh parsley, chopped, for garnish, optional
- Add extra virgin olive oil to a large pot. Add ground beef, onions, garlic, green peppers and mushrooms. Cook over medium heat until beef is browned and vegetables are softened, about 10 minutes.
- Stir in tomato paste, tomato sauce, crushed tomatoes, salt, pepper, sugar, bay leaf, oregano and Italian seasoning.
- Reduce heat to low. Cover. Simmer for 1 hour, stirring occasionally.
- Remove bay leaf before serving. Serve with cooked spaghetti noodles or your favorite cooked pasta. Top with fresh parsley, if desired.