Homemade Beer Dough Pizza Crust Recipe
- ¼ cup warm water; 105 – 115 degrees
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 2 ¼ teaspoon active dry yeast
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3 – 4 cups bread flour
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 ¼ cups warm beer
To Make the Pizza Dough
- Combine the ¼ cup water, sugar and yeast in a small bowl.
- Let sit until foamy for about 4 to 5 minutes.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with a dough hook, add the olive oil, salt and 2 cups of the flour.
- Turn the mixer on low and begin combining the ingredients.
- Add the yeast mixture.
- Slowly add in the warm beer.
- Gradually add more flour; a ½ cup at a time. You may not need to use all 4 cups of flour.
- When the dough starts to come together and pull away from the sides of the bowl, set a timer for 5 minutes and allow the machine to knead the dough for you.
- Check the dough while the machine is kneading. If it starts to stick to the sides of the bowl, you can add more flour, about 1 tablespoon at a time.
- After the 5 minutes of kneading in the machine, turn the dough out onto a lightly floured surface and fold it over itself a few times.
- Form the dough into a round and place in a lightly oiled bowl, turn it over to coat. Cover with plastic wrap or a damp towel and let it rise in a warm spot ; about one hour.
To Make the Pizza
- Once the dough has doubled in size, punch it down and turn it out onto a floured surface.
- Divide the dough into two equal parts.
- Roll out one pizza dough into a large 12 inch circle.
- Gently place the dough on top of a preheated pizza stone.
- Quickly prepare the pizza with your favorite sauce and toppings.
- Brush the pizza crust with extra olive oil if desired. It’s not necessary, but we like to do this extra step.
- Place the pizza stone into a preheated 435 degree oven for about 15 minutes or until the crust is brown and the cheese is bubbly.
Preheat the Pizza Stone:
- Pizza stones need to be preheated and HOT when you place the pizza dough on top.
- If you place the raw pizza dough on top of a cold pizza stone, you will not have a crisp crust.
- Measuring the Beer:
- Pour the beer into a measuring cup and let it sit for a few minutes for the foam to disappear to make sure you have the full 1 ¼ cups of beer.
- After you have divided the dough into the 2 equal parts, you can place the dough rounds on a parchment lined baking sheet.
- Place the baking sheet into the freezer and flash freeze the dough for about 30 minutes.
- Remove the dough rounds from the baking sheet and wrap individually in either plastic wrap or parchment paper.
- Place each dough round into a large freezer safe plastic bag and freeze for up to two months.
- When you are ready to use, take the frozen dough round out of the freezer and let it come to room temperature.
- Once defrosted, prepare the pizza as instructed above.