For the Sugar Cookies
- 1 cup salted butter cut into cubes
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 whole egg
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 3 cups all purpose flour see notes below before measuring
For the Cream Cheese Frosting
- 1/2 cup salted butter at room temperature
- 8 ounces cream cheese at room temperature
- 1 pound powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- fresh fruit: berries, kiwi, banana, mandarin oranges, etc..
US Customary – Metric
Make the Cookies
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Lightly grease a half sheet pan and set aside. Alternately, you can line with parchment paper and set aside.
- In a large bowl, stir butter and sugar until well mixed. Add the egg, vanilla extract and almond extract and stir again. Slowly incorporate the flour and baking powder until a dough forms. If it looks a little crumbly, this is normal. If you squeeze some dough together in your hands, it should form a ball that keeps its shape.
- Scoop and roll into 3 tablespoon dough balls (large cookie scoop) and press with a glass to spread. Refrigerate 5 minutes before baking to help them hold their shape.
- Bake 8-10 minutes, then cool 5 minutes on the hot baking sheet before cooling completely on cooling racks.
Make the Frosting
- Place all ingredients into a large bowl. Stir with a hand mixer (or stand mixer) until completely combined, thick and smooth. Scrape the sides and stir again briefly to ensure a smooth frosting.
Assemble the Cookies
- Frost cooled cookies generously with cream cheese frosting, then top with any desired fresh fruit. Store on baking sheets lined with parchment paper and gently topped with plastic wrap in the fridge before serving.
*measuring the flour is the most important part of this recipe! Be sure to whisk the flour well before measuring! Then spoon into your measuring cup and level the top.
Calories: 397kcal | Carbohydrates: 53g | Protein: 3g | Fat: 20g | Saturated Fat: 12g | Trans Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 55mg | Sodium: 177mg | Potassium: 91mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 36g | Vitamin A: 642IU | Calcium: 40mg | Iron: 1mg