- 1 ½ cups flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 3 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 5 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 tablespoon white vinegar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup cold water
- Preheat oven to 350 F.
- Add dry ingredients to an ungreased 8-inch round or square baking pan. Whisk to combine.
- Make 3 wells in the mixture. One larger hole and 2 smaller (see image). Pour oil, vinegar, and vanilla into the wells.
- Pour water over all of the ingredients. Mix well with a fork, making sure to get all the dry mix that gets stuck in the corners.
- Before baking, give the pan a couple of taps on the counter to help release any bubbles. Bake for 25-30 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in center comes out mostly clean.
- Serve plain, topped with powdered sugar, or frosted. If frosting, allow the cake to cool to room temperate before frosting.
Apple cider vinegar can be used instead of white vinegar.
Make this a vanilla crazy cake by omitting the cocoa powder and adding ½ teaspoon more vanilla.
You can double the recipe using a 9 x 13 pan and increasing the baking time to 35 minutes.
YIELD: 9 SERVING SIZE: 1
Amount Per Serving: CALORIES: 237