Ice Cream Cake Layers
- 1 quart chocolate ice cream
- 1 quart vanilla ice cream (I used vanilla bean)
Cookie Crunch Layer
- 20 crushed chocolate sandwich cookies (with cream center)
- 4 tablespoons salted sweet cream butter melted
Hot Fudge Layer
- 11.75 ounce jar hot fudge topping
Whipped Cream Frosting
- 2 cups cold heavy cream
- 1¼ cup powdered sugar
- 1½ teaspoon clear vanilla flavoring
- Colorful sprinkles (optional garnish)
- Line a 9 inch springform pan with plastic wrap. Set it aside.
- Heat the oven to 350*. Line a 10 x 15 baking sheet with parchment paper. Set it aside.
- Add the crushed chocolate sandwich cookies to a small mixing bowl.
- Stir in the melted butter until completely combined.
- Evenly spread the coated cookie crumbs on the lined baking sheet. Bake for 7 – 8 minutes. Remove from the oven and allow the cookie crumbs to completely cool.
- While the cookie crumbs are baking, remove the chocolate ice cream from the freezer and allow it to thaw. This will make spreading the ice cream into the pan much easier.
- Once the ice cream has thawed for 15 – 20 minutes, evenly spread the chocolate ice cream layer into the prepared springform pan. Place it back in the freezer for 30 minutes to 1 hour.
- Just before you are ready for the hot fudge layer, remove the lid to the hot fudge and place in the microwave for 20 – 25 seconds. This will soften the hot fudge, making it easier to spread on top of the chocolate ice cream layer.
- Using either a silicone spatula, or an offset spatula, evenly spread the hot fudge over the top of the chocolate ice cream layer.
- Evenly sprinkle the baked cookie crumbs over the top of the hot fudge layer. Return to the freezer for 1 hour.
- 15 – 20 minutes before you are ready to spread the vanilla ice cream layer, remove the vanilla ice cream from the freezer to thaw slightly.
- Remove the springform pan from the freezer, and evenly spread the vanilla ice cream on top of the cookie crunch layer. Return the springform pan to the freezer for 4 – 6 hours, or overnight.
- 30 minutes before you are ready to “frost” the ice cream cake, if you are using a stand mixer, place the metal bowl in the freezer. If you are using a handheld mixer, place your mixing bowl, preferably a metal mixing bowl, in the freezer for 30 minutes.
- Remove the bowl from the freezer, add the heavy cream, powdered sugar and clear vanilla flavoring. Beat on medium, just until the powdered sugar is incorporated, then beat on high until stiff peaks form, about 3 – 4 minutes.
- Separate out 1 cup of whipped cream frosting and place in either a decorator’s piping bag fitted with a star shaped tip.
- You will need to work quickly, especially if the weather is warm. Remove the ice cream cake from the freezer.
- Remove the outer edges of the springform pan. Using either a cake lifter, or a large sturdy spatula, remove the plastic wrap and place the ice cream cake on either a serving plate or a round decorators board.
- Using either a silicone spatula, or an offset spatula, quickly frost the sides and top of the ice cream cake.
- Using even pressure, holding the decorators piping bag a ½ inch above the edge of the top of the cake, pipe either a shell pattern or swirl pattern around the edge of the ice cream cake.
- Evenly sprinkle the colorful sprinkles on the top of the ice cream cake. Place the cake back into the freezer until you are ready to serve.
Storage: Store any leftovers in a cake carrier in the freezer for up to 7 days.Tips:
- If you do not have a springform pan, you can use a round cake pan lined with plastic wrap.
- You can substitute any flavors of ice cream for the chocolate and vanilla ice cream.
- You can substitute the hot fudge with caramel, and the chocolate sandwich cookies with vanilla sandwich cookies.
- Heating the hot fudge in the microwave for 20-25 seconds will soften it so that it’s easier to spread on top of the chocolate ice cream layer.
- Make sure to reserve room in your freezer to fit the cake pan.
Calories: 742kcal | Carbohydrates: 86g | Protein: 9g | Fat: 42g | Saturated Fat: 24g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 2g | Monounsaturated Fat: 12g | Trans Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 117mg | Sodium: 338mg | Potassium: 519mg | Fiber: 3g | Sugar: 68g | Vitamin A: 1361IU | Vitamin C: 1mg | Calcium: 232mg | Iron: 4mg