Chocolate Mayonnaise Cake Recipe
- 4 oz bittersweet chocolate chopped
- 1 cup dark unsweetened cocoa powder
- 3/4 cup boiling dark coffee
- 2 2/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp baking powder
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 cup brown sugar packed
- 1 1/3 cup mayonnaise
- 2 eggs
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cup unsalted butter softened
- 1 – 8 oz cream cheese soften
- 1 1.2 Hershey special dark cocoa powder
- 1 tbsp pure vanilla extract
- 7 cup powder sugar
- 1/4 cup heavy whipping cream
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Grease three 8 -inch cake pans
- Combine melted chocolate and cocoa in a bowl. Melt the chocolate in the microwave just until softened and stir it smooth – about 1 minute.
- Whisk in boiling coffee and stir until smooth. Set aside.
- Sift the flour, baking soda, baking powder, and salt into a bowl. Set aside.
- With an electric mixer on medium-high speed, beat the sugar and the mayonnaise until blended. Add eggs one at a time. Add the extra egg yolk and vanilla.
- On low speed, add the dry ingredients alternating with the chocolate mixture until fully combined. Divide cake batter evenly among pans.
- Bake about 30 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. Cool cake completely before frosting.
- Using the standing mixer again, beat the cream cheese and butter until combined and smooth.
- Gradually mix in the cocoa powder, vanilla and salt.
- Very slowly, beat in the powdered sugar until combined.
- Whisk in the heavy whipping cream until the icing is smooth and fluffy.
Directions to build the cake
- Place 1 layer of cake onto the cake board.
- Using the ice cream scooper, scoop out 4-6 scoops of frosting and smooth evenly on one layer of cake.
- Place another layer of cake on top and spread more frosting.
- Place the last layer on top and frost the remaining cake with remaining frosting.