- 2 tablespoons bacon grease, or the oil of your choice, divided
- 3 eggs beaten
- 5 cups COLD cooked rice *
- 1/4 cup low-sodium soy sauce, plus more for serving
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 3 cups cooked chicken, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 cup cooked and crumbled bacon, about 1 lb bacon
- 2/3 cup frozen peas
- 3 green onions sliced thin
- optional: kosher salt only as needed.
- Warm a tablespoon of bacon grease, or oil, in a large skillet over medium heat. Swirl the oil to coat the surface of the pan. Pour the eggs into the pan and tilt as needed to spread across the skillet. Let the eggs cook for 2-3 minutes and then flip them over. Cook one more minute. Slide the egg out of the skillet onto a cutting board and allow it to cool. Cut into 1/2-inch wide strips and then cut into small pieces.
- Add the remaining tablespoon of grease, or oil, to the skillet and increase heat to medium high. Add the rice and stir to coat. Continue stirring and cooking for about 2 minutes. Add the soy sauce and sesame oil. Stir well, to distribute the sauce throughout the rice. Cook for 5 minutes, stirring frequently, until the rice is heated through.
- Add the chicken, bacon, and peas. Stir and cook an additional 3-4 minutes, until everything is hot. Add the eggs and green onions to the skillet. Sprinkle with pepper. Stir gently to mix. Taste the rice and add salt, only if needed. Enjoy!
The rice for this recipe needs to be completely chilled so that it can be easily broken apart into individual grains without any clumping or sticking. I suggest making the rice a day or two (even as much as 4-5 days) before you want to use it. The key to great fried rice is using rice that is as dry as possible so that your fried rice won’t be mushy or soft.
* I use Jasmine rice 100% of the time in my cooking. However, any long grain rice will work for this recipe.
Calories: 512kcal · Carbohydrates: 34g · Protein: 24g · Fat: 31g · Saturated Fat: 10g · Cholesterol: 150mg · Sodium: 695mg · Potassium: 317mg · Fiber: 1g · Sugar: 1g · Vitamin A: 305IU · Vitamin C: 6mg · Calcium: 40mg · Iron: 2mg