Cheesy Sausage and Rice
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 ring (13.5 ounces) smoked sausage, sliced into ¼-inch pieces
- 1 yellow onion, finely diced
- 1 green bell pepper, finely diced
- 1 red bell pepper, finely diced
- 1 teaspoon garlic, minced
- 2 cups instant white rice
- 2 cans (10.75 ounces each) cream of chicken soup
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 2 cups mild cheddar cheese, shredded, divided
- ¼ teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- ¼ teaspoon kosher salt
- ⅛ teaspoon black pepper
- ¼ cup (½ stick) unsalted butter, sliced into 4 pats
- parsley, for garnish
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Add olive oil to a 15-inch oven-safe skillet over medium heat. Once the oil is hot, add the sausage and sear it on each side until browned, 2-3 minutes on each side.
- Remove the skillet from heat and add the onion, green bell pepper, red bell pepper, garlic, rice, cream of chicken soup, chicken broth, 1 cup of cheese, red pepper flakes, salt, and pepper. Stir to combine.
- Top with pats of butter (evenly spaced) and the remaining shredded cheddar cheese.
- Cover with aluminum foil and bake for 30 minutes.
- Remove the foil and bake another 20 minutes, or until cheese is hot and bubbly.
- Top with parsley. Salt to taste.