- 4 Lamb Shanks
- 1 tbsp Olive Oil
- Sea Salt and Black Pepper – to taste
- 2 tbsp Flour – gluten free if required
- 1 Onion – chopped
- 2 Carrots – peeled and chopped
- 2 ribs Celery – chopped
- 2 cloves Garlic – peeled and crushed
- ½ cup Balsamic Vinegar
- 1 cup White Wine
- 2 cups Chicken Stock – gluten free if required
- 1 tablespoon Chopped Parsley – Optional – for garnish
- 1 Red Chili, thinly sliced – Optional – for garnish
- Preheat oven to 300ºF/150ºC
- Season the lamb well with salt and pepper.
- In a Dutch Oven or heavy bottomed saucepan with a lid, brown the lamb shanks in one tablespoon olive oil on a medium high heat. Turn occasionally until they’re golden, for around 10-15 minutes.
- Remove the shanks to a plate and sprinkle them with the flour.
- In the same heavy based pan, cook the onions, carrots, celery and garlic over a low heat until soft – around 10 minutes.
- Stir in the garlic.
- Add the balsamic vinegar and wine to the pan, bring to the boil and reduce down until the liquid thickens somewhat, around 5 minutes.
- Add the chicken stock, bring to the boil and carefully lay the lamb shanks back into the sauce.
- Cover with a lid, transfer to the oven and cook for 2 to 2½ hours or until the lamb easily pulls apart with a fork.
- Serve with a garnish of scattered parsley and/or sliced chili, if desired.
Serving: 1portionCalories: 415kcalCarbohydrates: 21gProtein: 43gFat: 11gSaturated Fat: 3gCholesterol: 131mgSodium: 366mgPotassium: 831mgFiber: 2gSugar: 10gVitamin A: 5185IUVitamin C: 5mgCalcium: 61mgIron: 4mg