- 12 ounces blackberries can use frozen blackberries too
- ⅓ cup granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons water
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 17.25 ounces puff pastry 1 package, two sheets, thawed
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon water
- ½ cup powdered sugar
- 2 tablespoons heavy cream or milk, add more as needed
Prepare the Filling
- Place blackberries, sugar, water, salt and lemon juice in a medium saucepan.
- Bring mixture to a simmer over medium-low heat, stirring frequently. Continue cooking for 3 to 4 minutes until the blackberries begin to break down and release their juices.
- Stir in cornstarch and continue simmering for another 1 to 2 minutes until thickened. Remove from the heat and let cool.
- Preheat the oven to 400°F. Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside.
- Gently roll out the thawed pastry sheets on a lightly floured surface. Use a sharp knife or pizza cutter to cut each puff pastry sheet into 4 squares.
- Spoon about 2 tablespoons of the cooled blackberry filling into the center of each square.
- Prepare the egg wash by whisking the egg and water together in a small bowl. Brush the edges of each square with the egg wash.
- Gently fold the pastry square on the diagonal to make a triangle, being careful to keep the filling in the center and not get it close to the edge.
- Use a fork to gently press the edges together and seal the pastry edges together. Carefully transfer the pastries to the prepared baking sheet.
- Use a sharp knife to cut 3 slits in the top of the turnovers or use a fork to poke holes in the top. This allows the steam to escape so the turnovers don’t burst open in the oven.
- Bake for 18 to 21 minutes or until the pastry is golden brown and puffed. Remove from the oven and allow to cool before adding the glaze.
Prepare the Glaze
- Whisk together the powdered sugar and heavy cream together in a small bowl until smooth.
- Once the turnovers have mostly cooled mostly, drizzle the glaze over the top of each one.
- Allow the glaze to set for a few minutes before serving.
Store any leftover turnovers in an airtight container on the counter for 3 days. To reheat, pop in the microwave for about 15 seconds.
Calories: 442kcal | Carbohydrates: 49g | Protein: 6g | Fat: 25g | Saturated Fat: 7g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 3g | Monounsaturated Fat: 14g | Trans Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 25mg | Sodium: 235mg | Potassium: 122mg | Fiber: 3g | Sugar: 18g | Vitamin A: 177IU | Vitamin C: 10mg | Calcium: 25mg | Iron: 2mg