- 4 squares squares of unsweetened chocolate
- ½ cup butter unsalted (1 stick)
- 1 pound powdered sugar
- ½ cup whole milk
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- Place the chocolate bar pieces and the butter in the microwave safe covered bowl. microwave at 20-30 second intervals, stirring after each interval. Stop heating when there are just a few lumps left in the mixture then stir to completely melt.
- Cool chocolate mixture for 10 minutes.
- Mix the powdered sugar, milk and vanilla extract together in a mixing bowl.
- Gradually add the cooled chocolate and butter (beating between adding each amount) then beat until frosting is fluffy (approx. 3-4 minutes)
Yields: enough to frost 2 8 or 9 inch round layer cake, 19×13 sheet cake, or 12-15 cupcakes
Use heavy cream or evaporated milk in place of whole milk if desired.
Although the melted unsweetened chocolate bars are best, you can substitute ½ cup of unsweetened cocoa powder (regular or Dutch process) If using cocoa powder, use room temperature butter instead of melted, beat the butter and cocoa powder until combined. Then add the remaining ingredients.
If frosting is appears too wet, add a tablespoon of powdered sugar at a time until it reaches thicker consistency.
Using sour cream in baking produces the rich texture due to higher fat content.
Calories: 1086kcal | Carbohydrates: 165g | Protein: 7g | Fat: 52g | Saturated Fat: 33g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 2g | Monounsaturated Fat: 15g | Trans Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 85mg | Sodium: 300mg | Potassium: 391mg | Fiber: 6g | Sugar: 151g | Vitamin A: 1011IU | Calcium: 96mg | Iron: 7mg